Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Testimony : Who Am I

Most Christians have this one point in their lives where they decide that they would accept Christ as their savior, but I don’t really know if that is the same for me. Being born and raised as a Christian, I was taught from an early age about who and what God was. I was studying and memorizing bible verses from an early age and God was indeed real to me.

My parents and church elders told me that Jesus was my Lord/Savior and being a kid I had no reason not to believe them. After many years of going to church and getting to know more and more about God, that fact that was Jesus was my savior was like a no brainer for me. I knew that he saved me from my sins and also knew that “Jesus first loved me” and in my mind I have had always accepted him as my savior. So “what is the purpose of this testimony?” you may ask.

When I was 16 there was this church camp that I went to and the theme of the camp was “ Who Am I”. The reason I’m writing this is for what happened on the last day of the camp. The speaker was talking about how unworthy we were to receive salvation and how much love God must have had to send his one and only son to die for us. I’ve heard and I’m pretty sure most of you have also heard this speech many times, but since the whole three days of the camp was about that topic, I decided to just let that fact sink into my head for a while. And that was when it hit me. It was not some special revelation or anything special like that, but it was the feeling of unworthiness.

I can’t really put into words just how unworthy I felt at that moment but the only other feeling that was stronger was the feeling of thankfulness. It was weird singing the theme song for the camp that night but it was good kind of weird(if that makes sense). I got baptized a few months later and I admit there are times when I feel that I’m doing okay on my own but I quickly remember my time at that camp and I would ask myself “Who Am I”.

P.S. The theme song for the camp was “Who Am I – Casting Crown”

By "I Know Who Am I"